These drills are from the July Arizona Newsletter.
There is a link at the end of this post if you are interested in downloading the complete newsletter.
I hope this gives you a thought or two to add a drill for the upcoming season, or to find a way to improve your versions of these drills.
Practice Drills of the Month
Wildcat Money Ball — 2 players 1 ball
- Goals are 11 in 1 minute, 22 in 2 minutes, 33 in 3 minutes
- Start with a drive and kick worth 3 pts
- Same shooter takes 4 shots in a row
- Shots 2-4 are worth 1 pt each
- Last shot is from 15 ft.
- Switch shooters and repeat
Close-out 3 man weave
- 2 passes with the 3 pass a skip across with
- a close-out coming from middle defender
- Man who skipped it becomes help side defender
- Live 1 on 2 after the skip pass
- Drill going live at both ends
Olympic Shooting — 4 min (5 balls)
- 3 players on court with two passers on each baseline
- Start with pass to wing, back to middle,opposite wing for lay-up
- No dribble before the lay-up
- Two players left shoot jump shots, receiving passes from baseline
- Wing Shooters become baseline passers and lay-up man continues in drill with the original baseline passers
- Drill counts 2’s and 3’s
Green Bay Transition
- 3 on 3 full court with two outlets out of bounds on each side
- Whoever gets the defensive rebound outlets and runs in transition with the two outlet guys
- Continuous drill with two teams
- Red vs. Blue (keep score)
3 on 2
- Wings run wide, point runs down middle (w/ball)
- Wings cut toward basket at hash mark
- Point passes to a cutter (best shooter)
- Shooter has 3 options
Shoot off of 1,2 step
Shot fake, 1 dribble pull up
Pass back to cutting guard through the middle
- Wing who does not receive 1 pass boxes out top defender right away (slice)
- No wing to wing passes!
Here is a link to download the entire July Newsletter: Arizona Newsletter
The Coaching Toolbox has hundreds of resources for basketball coaching including basketball practice, basketball plays, basketball drills, basketball quotes, basketball workouts, basketball poems, and more!