These drills came from the Xavier Basketball Coaching Newsletter
Stop, Score, Stop
To win a team must get a stop, score, and a stop in 3 consecutive possessions.
If defense gets a stop (stop) they go to offense and must score, then they go to defense and must get a stop to win
If offense scores, they to to defense and then must get a stop, score and stop
There is a change of possession after each play
24 Second Drill
- This is a 5 on 5 half court drill.
- Black vs. White as an example.
- There are 24 seconds on the clock.
- Black begins on defense and white on offense.
- The white team has 24 second and black must stop white throughout the entire
- If white takes a shot and the black gains possession at 12 seconds, then white still
has possession but there are now 12 seconds on the clock. If what takes another
shot and black gains possession at 5 seconds then the shot clock is at 5 and white
has possession again. This continues until black stops white for an entire 24
seconds of the shot clock.
- If white scores, they go on defense.
- If white gets an offensive rebound, the clock goes back to 24, but black is still on
- Great drill to end practice because it is very competitive and difficult. Very tough drill.
- Make 3 teams of 3-4 players. Two teams play while the third team is shooting on a side basket
- Put 12 minutes on clock.
- Team gets a point for every stop.
- Foul is automatic loss of play.
- First two teams play for 4 minutes. Then the third team comes in after 4 minutes for one of the teams.
- When offense scores, the defense must sprint down and touch the opposite foul line. There is only 20 seconds for each possession so the team must sprint down and back to get more time.
- If the defense gets a stop, the offense must go down and touch the opposite foul line and come back. The coach will pas the ball to the offense as they come back down the floor and they will be on offense again.
- The drill is a great conditioner.
Here is a link to all of our basketball drills: Basketball Drills