Here are some questions to use for structuring your philosophy to determine how your team will play. I hope that it also inspires your coaching staff to come up with more questions that fit your goals and objectives.
- What are our defensive and offensive philosophies?
- What are the strengths of our players and how can we best utilize those strengths while hiding their weaknesses?
- What is the optimal number of possessions per game for this group?
- Can we defend for that number of possessions at that pace?
- How is our ability compared to the best teams in our region of the state tournament? our conference? our area?
- How do we need to play to advance as far as possible in the state tournament?
- What is our depth like?
- How does our depth affect our style of play?
- What will our substitution pattern be?
Create a system your players believe in, that is consistent, and that you can evaluate to help your team’s performance improve.
Once you have determined your objectives and goals for the upcoming season, then you will determine your
specific offensive scheme (Click the link for some questions to help refine your system) and
defensive scheme.(Click the link for some questions to help refine your system)
The most important aspect of putting your team together is the way you plan and execute your basketball practice sessions.