These two shooting drills came from Coach Creighton Burns’ Newsletter
Knight SHOOTING DRILL”
*How to do the drill:
1. You need three players (shooter, passer, rebounder)
2. Two balls
3. One Minute on the clock
Goal to make 15 shots out of 25 attempts
- The passer can only pass. The rebounder can only rebound and then pass to the passer. (I know you realize the passer passes to the shooter.)
- The Rebounder counts the shots attempted.
- The Passer counts the shots made.
- The drill starts with the shooter having a ball and the passer having a ball.
- The shooter will move from Elbow to Elbow in the drill. (Must HUSTLE!)
- Their should be some type of punishment if the shooter does not get the25 attempts or the 15 makes.
*Change up to the drill. You can have the shooter go from elbow to the wing and back to the elbow. S/he should move about 12′. You may need to put a mark with chalk on the floor so the shooter will know where to shoot from. (All the other rules are the same.) (This is great for taking shots at game speed.)
UT SHOOTING DRILL
*The Explanation is below the diagram
l 2 l
“Three Man-Two Ball Shooting Three Pointing Shooting Drill”
1. 1 has a ball ready to shoot
2. 2 has a ball under the basket
3. 3 is spotted up behind the arc
1. The drill begins with 1 taking a shot and 2 under the basket will make a pass to 3 for a three point shot.
2. The passer (2) sprints outside anywhere behind the three point line.
3. The first shooter (1) follows his shot, rebounds, and passes to a player spotted up behind the arc.
4. The drill continues for 1 minute and each player has to make 6 three point shots. (They count their
own made shots.) (Penalty if they don’t reach 18 total makes)
*Remember this and you can do the drill. After you shoot follow your shot rebound it (missed or made) and pass to a player behind the three point line. Do not stay under the goal after you rebound your shot just sprint behind the three point line and you will get a pass from another player who has just rebounded his/her shot.
*You can shoot from the corners, wings or point area. *If there are three players and two balls someone has to be open for a pass after you follow your shot and get the rebound.
The Coaching Toolbox has hundreds of resources for coaching basketball including basketball practice, basketball plays, basketball drills, basketball quotes, basketball workouts, basketball poems, and more!