These articles were written by Alan Stein on his Stronger Team Blog.
Assistant Coaches Code:
- Your #1 job is to make your head coach’s job easier. Be a servant leader. Find what your head coach needs you to do and do it!
- Act as if it is your team. You will have your own team one day. Act like it now.
- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. No excuses.
- Add value to everything you do, every single day… on and off the court.
- Enforce the team’s culture and standards at all times. Protect the locker room.
- When you find a problem… find a solution. Your head coach has enough problems as it is.
- Be professional. Period.
- Encourage and motivate everyone in your program to buy in to what the head coach wants – from players, to managers to other assistants.
- Bring energy, enthusiasm and effort every day.
- When asked for your input, speak honestly. Don’t be a ‘yes’ man (or woman).
- Don’t focus on winning (outcome); focus on preparation, effort and execution (process).
- Winning is a result of:
The execution of the fundamentals
The ability of 5 players to work in unison… every possession… both ends of the floor.
- A team can only reach it’s true potential if:
The most talented player is also the hardest worker
Everyone in the program buys in to the ‘We > Me’ concept
Each player is in peak physical condition
- You either accept it or you correct it.
- You play the way you practice.
- Alan Stein
ABCs of Success
Here are the ABC’s of success:
A – Adapting, Asking
B – Believing
C – Caring, Challenging, Creating
D – Dreaming, Defusing
E – Engaging, Envisioning, Evaluating, Evolving, Educating
F – Failing, Focusing
G – Growing, Grinding
H – Helping
I – Innovating, Inspiring
J – Juking, Juggling
K – Knowing
L – Leading, Learning, Listening, Loving
M – Mentoring, Mending
N – Networking
O – Objecting, Outworking, Observing
P – Preparing, Pursuing, Pushing
Q – Questioning
R – Reaching, Reading, Resolving
S – Searching, Seeking, Serving, Sharing, Simplifying, Striving, Smiling
T – Thinking, Tweaking
U – Understanding
V – Viewing, Voicing, Valuing, Varying
W – Working
X – Xeroxing (‘copying’ – couldn’t leave X out!)
Y – Yearning
Z – Zigging and Zagging
Now you know your ABC’s… I hope you’ll do these things with me!
Hardwood Hustle Blog